7.24.2006

not for the weak of heart...

many airports have prayer rooms. i thought it was funny when i saw it in hong kong, but heathrow sports them too. maybe it's only america that's funny. i told a girl that you can buy guns at walmart, and she was appalled. it didn't help any when i explained that the guns are for hunting and that you can buy deer piss too.


london doesn't have any skyscrapers. the buildings are very old, stately, and...curly. the cabs i've seen look like hearses, and the phone boothes are bright red and old fashioned (in true metropolis style). my sightseeing thus far has been constrained to the carride from airport to canary wharf. i've seen westminster, big ben, the tower of london (and tower bridge--aka london bridge), and buckminster palace. i can't wait to drive by kensington gardens (that's where peter pan happened...sorta).


training might be a bore, but the other new hires seem pretty cool. i like meeting people my own age. also, we get 50 pounds a day to spend on food...that's roughly $100! we're being taken offsite to do a teambuilding event for a couple of days, so i made sure i spent my 50 pounds today on frivolous stuff...hurrah for green and black chocolates and mcvities biscuits! i'm pretty pumped to get back and try my goat yogurt and sheep yogurt and bioactive yogurts too. i spent exactly 49.50 pounds.

in spite of time zone havocs, i slept really well last night. i think i would've slept straight thru to my alarm if i hadn't fallen off my bed and hit my face on my nightstand. i didn't actually roll off my bed, but the stupid mattress has rounded corners, so once you pass the event horizon, you're gone. i had time to thrash frantically before i hit the ground (and the table). i spent some time sitting dumbfounded on the ground...pretty funny stuff. if it had been anyone else, i would've laughed hysterically. thinking about it now still puts a grin on my face. i love it when my day starts slapstick...reminds me of the time a van backed over my foot on mass ave.


i took some pictures of stuff...but i have no private internet access right now...and i think the company would object to me uploading pics at the office. anyways, one of the pics was of rambutans, which reminded me of nancy (i bought a bag off the streets).

2 comments:

Daphne said...

those rambutans look like some kind of sea creature...yuck...

lily said...

phne-ne! keep an open mind...they taste like lychees.