8.21.2006

cultural illiteracy

no one here has seen or heard of the princess bride. i've spent a lot of time trying to explain why it's the best movie ever. i get the feeling that no one really believes me, and they only nod out of politeness. this must be how lunatics feel.

instead of learning on friday, the new hires field tripped to a farm to do "volunteer work". most of the day was spent shoveling dirt and weeding (my fellow classmates reacted exactly as you'd expect...they complained--not sure how much useful work they got out of us). we got a nice tour of the farm, and i saw a pig with the biggest balls ever (reminiescent of van wilder). there were also chickens and cows and goats and sheep and ducks. apparently i'm the most gullible person ever. the farmer-man was holding this chicken, and he pretended that the chicken laid an egg into his hand. he talked about the benefits of free-range eggs, including their tougher shells, whereupon he bounced the egg on the ground...i think this is when the rest of the class realized the egg was fake, but i was totally shocked that an egg could bounce like that. accordingly, i got the 'piss taken out of me' for the rest of the day (that means they made fun of me). they also had a Meet Meat and Eat program where we got fresh pork sausage and lamb burgers for lunch. Almost everything we ate came off the farm itself. pretty good stuff. blackberries and elderberries grew freely (but elderberries are no good raw...you hafta make them into jam or wine). i also tried some sorrel that farmer-man picked from the ground. when he asked for volunteers, i was the only one to go. yep, i'm pretty brave :-).

blood coagulent
elderberry
some pig
geese
goat

3 comments:

Lori said...

I emailed you my address. You are hard to find in the alum directory. I forgot your name really isn't Lily.

I'd be amazed too if I saw an egg bounce.

Dylan said...

I emailed you my address too. Did you get it? I didn't realize you had a blog here, so I guess I have lots of interesting reading to look forward to. It's probably mostly about food and sports, right? :P Bouncing eggs sound cool though. Haha, and your blog's even in English... I'm so lazy.

Anyway, during the brief downtime between clicking on the "comments" link and seeing this page fully loaded (that's one time interval they forgot to mention in "Seasons of Love"), I was composing this comment in my mind starting with a little note apologizing that my comment isn't at all related to the blog post I'm responding to, but I guess I'm not the only one, so I preemptively retract my unwritten apology. ;)

lily said...

i got both of your addresses, thank you. life is good. first day of work, and i'm eating free chocolates. yesterday i came by and stole a beer.