9.02.2006

today i...

found a playground
saw a parakeet
chose an apartment
supped on dragon fruit (after coveting my neighbor's)
discovered the seeds of jackfruit







i went out in a very adult way. almost fell asleep in a jazz club. the music was great, but my contacts started bothering me (i'd had them in all day to play frisbee)...and we all know how i get then. the wine didn't help matters any. my lips are still purple from it. i didn't know that wine could be as persistent as blueberries. about the jazz: the singer resembled sheena, which reminded me of avocados and leather (supple). it was the first time in a long time that i didn't fall madly in love with the drummer (btw, if you're a jazz drummer, my number is...)

i think everyone i hang out with is miles older than me. there's a special enclave of peterpan expats here. the ones who don't want to face the mortgage and the 9-5 so they live in asia, where everyone's either ageless or dead. i still hiccup everytime someone asks me my age..."21" spits much more readily than "22"...is this how ppl start lying?

i signed my lease! well, sort of. it's a funny precontract that obliges me to sign the real contract within a week. i look for spy moments in my life, so i'm gonna count this one. my agent (let's call her Q, which stands for Ivy) called me right after pickup:

Q: "agent huang, if you can't start your lease on the 9th, then we've lost it."
003: "i understand, i accept the mission"
Q: "meet me at your hotel with the necessary paperwork in 30 min."
15 min before i arrive at my hotel:
Q: "rendezvous has changed. the boss is in IFC mcdonalds. we need to meet him there before he watches his movie."
003: "roger."

ok, it doesn't sound so exciting, but i had to run all over town! and then when i got there, i tried to hand the guy a check, and he was like, no, i need cash. 00. ok...i can do that...run to an atm and extract a wad of $1000 bills, stuff them surreptitiously into my wallet...he's gonna make me pay the $16000 security deposit in cash too. well, whatever it takes. i think i beat out another person for the apartment by minutes. the popularity of the place reassures me in my decision. is it sad that i need others to validate me thus? don't answer that...

No comments: