10.05.2006

in which i join laura in her klutzy ways

i just fell down an escalator. that's right, full tilt. i've discovered that once you start falling down an escalator, there's no real way to stop falling down an escalator until you're off the escalator. i'm very proud of myself as i managed not to hit my head. the whole fall was very controlled. even the two grocery bags i was carrying sustained minimum damages (to wit, only a dented soymilk carton). i kind of bumped my way down on my bum, and to do that, i had to turn while falling so that i could face upwards. i think my iap snowboarding lessons came into very good use in the don't panic department--familiarity breeds contempt. only the gobbly part at the end worried me because i've seen news stories about people getting scalped by escalators. the whole experience was relatively painless. the focused slow-motion that kicked in reminded me of layout experiences. now my legs are starting to sting though. good thing i'm wearing long pants.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

and she forgets to mention that her caring colleagues laughed and laughed before she showed them the blood.... at which point they paused.... and laughed again....

Yelena said...

Were you bleeding a lot? My friend shaun (that you met) fell down an escalator when he was 6. He still has scars on his knees. I think he couldn't really walk for 6 months. Maybe he wasn't wearing long pants when it happened.

Laura said...

was this a real escalator or a slightly inclined moving walkway escalator?

cliff did observe that the hong kong escalators move much faster than american escalators. i am glad that you are not the yearly fatality.

do we get any pictures of the atrocity? :)

Olivia/Liver said...

You poor thing! I'm glad you're okay. (But I do kinda wish your escalator fall had been captured on video for publication on YouTube...)

lily said...

my legs are kinda scratched up, and it hurts when i walk or move...i guess my life isn't the three stooges after all, but unfortunately there was no free flowing bloood. laura--this was a real escalator, not a travelator. maybe i'll take some pics this weekend if i feel bored/inspired. liver--i'll try to find a cameraman the next time i pull something like this. i too wish i had footage. henri--i tripped over my pants while trying to walk downwards...