4.16.2007

sometimes hk is a 3rd world country

in all of the civilized world, today is ben and jerry's free cone day, a day that ranks only slightly behind thanksgiving and the superbowl, a day that heathens like me hold sacred. because the density of b&j's stores here is not less than in the US (3 within a five min walk is nothing to wink at), i had hoped that i wouldn't have to forego this holy day. alas:

me: hello? ben and jerry's?
them: hello. ben and jerry's.
me: hi, i was wondering if you guys participated in free cone day.
them: yes, but the date hasn't been confirmed yet.
me: oh, but on the website it says its tomorrow.
them: well, that's for the US and canada.
me: when's it for hk?
them: no one knows...
me: when will they know?
them: no one knows...
me: but you guys do do it.
them: yes, but the date hasn't been confirmed yet.
me: well, how will i know when the date has been confirmed?
them: i don't know...

so, ben and jerry's is having a free cone day...someday. and when they have it, i will probably be sitting here, oblivious. the horror!

i know i'm spoiled and hedonistic--are you really that surprised?

4 comments:

minimousetrap said...

hahaha. did the person on the phone have a hongkongnese accent too? because that's what i was hearing as i read the dialogue and for me, it was that much funnier.

lily said...

of course

Laura said...

if it makes you feel better, I live in the US, California, even and there is not a Ben and Jerry's within 30 miles of work. So I didn't get a free cone either...

swfairytales said...

arg well matey, sometimes the winds, they be a'blowin'.