7.16.2007

gridlock

The jazzfest saga, part deaux:

in preparation for my marathon flight, jonnie charles elliot and i breakfast'd at the flying pan. (if i call him by all his names, it sounds like i have more friends).

and then i was off...to spend all eternity stuck in ORD airport. my connecting flight to boston got cancelled, and i was supposed to get on the next flight, except the customer services lady gave me another huang's ticket. as such, they kicked me off the flight, refused to hand me the ticket back (it was the only proof i had that i was supposed to get to boston eventually. they claimed it was a security risk, even tho they had already let me on the flight as the imposter huang, and the flight had already left). my only recourse, it seemed, was to stand by with a bazillion high school kids (also from boston, also coming from hk). the next seat for sale wasn't for two whole days. so daddy booked me a hotel room and talked his agent into changing my flight into a direct one for montreal the next morning. i called cchu who called keister who stole my bag from the boston airport (no security issues at all) to bring to montreal for me ("uh lilz, is your bag the one with the donkey ears inside?"). the silver lining? daddy booked me a king sized bed and a complimentary breakfast. AND, a giordano's was waiting right around the corner. i consoled myself with a whole stuffed hawaiian pizza and all the sitcoms i could watch (welcome home!).

and then the next morning, i got in the domestic line (cuz you know, i want to go to the state of canadia). and then they told me i couldn't get a ticket from boston changed into a ticket for montreal. and then they tried to tell me i had to stand in line again (for the third time). and then i cried. so they told me to speak to a supervisor. who left before i could speak to her. so i made them call me a supervisor. but they refused to pick up the phone when it rang again. and then magically, a supervisor popped out of nowhere, and i sobbed my story to him, and he clickedy clacked on his keyboard, mm-hmmm'd a couple of times, and let me on my flight (FINALLY!). apparently, it's not that you can't change a flight's destination (even if that destination is in a different country). it's that you usually can't do it for free. but they dicked me over, and my dad flies a lot, so eat my shorts, united. next time, i will try REALLY HARD to fly thru san fran. ohmigod cuz life is too short, and i have important things like this to get to:

at jazzfest, smitten lost in the finals to storm (whom we beat in the finals last year). we ran out of legs, and i gave up on a couple of deep discs. the last turn was a run thru d on me :-(--she laid out right past me. over the course of a year, i've gained a few things and lost a few things. i've traded 1) my will to cut continuously and 2) my backhand huck for 1) a better read and 2) a better flick. ah well, maybe my lack of intensity means its time to take a break.

the drive back from jfest consisted of sleeping and eating (for me). first we picked up some roadside strawberries (and then i fell asleep), then we visited the cabot cheese place, where i learned that i CAN eat cheddar and other aged cheeses cuz the lactose all gets digested by the process (proccess, you are my hero). if anyone knows of any non-cheddar aged cheeses, lemme know pls so i can start consumption post haste. and then i fell asleep. and then we were at the beer place. the bottling process is pretty phenomenal. stuff like that always makes me want to be course 2. and between naps, we went to 2 more cheese places (one of which sold yummy chocolate). the next time i woke up, we were in boston and atong had stuck some sour patch kids on my face. oh, and somewhere in there, atong managed to lose a bet about how to pronounce the double-l in peru, which meant she had to chubby bunny a 700 calorie chocolate muffin that had been sitting in the sun all day. it was mighty sweaty. moohaha.

while i was in boston, i generally hung out with smite a lot and ate a lot, which is par for the course for when i'm in boston. otherwise, i:

  • had a picnic in the commons with kdob during which i made marshmallow taffy, ate foodtruck food, and beat atong+meryl at flutterguts (yang is REALLY good).
  • bought matching hats with laura and yelena.
  • yelena's so beautiful
  • ate at the northend
  • (both plates are mine)
  • ate at soundbytes (where we learned of the soundbytes strife
  • slept thru the fireworks (which was quite the feat cuz it was cold and rainy and loud)
  • slept thru ratatouille
  • had a marathon eating day where we started at 11 with lunch at veggie planet, had mochi and boba at tea stop, test drove a prion(?) to finance our second lunch at border cafe, walked back to tea stop cuz cchu wanted some too, walked to christina's cuz ICE CREAM!, walked to tosci's cuz MORE ICE CREAM! and got home in time to get take out from red bones. phew.

AND i found this poster that described me perfectly (it says: I'm Lilly! I am the queen! I like EVERYTHING! (to eat)). That thar next to it is a daisy.

that was quite the mouthful. also also, i just wanted to say that i'm doing phone interviews at work. whoa the responsibility!




3 comments:

Laura said...

you forgot to mention that you slept through the Boston fireworks STANDING UP.

and we test drove scions, but i kind of like the idea of naming a car after a brain eating shape shifting protein, so let's just pretend that's the real name from now on.

lily said...

oh, good call. i was choosing between calling them prions and zions, or maybe lions.

Anonymous said...

I was googling when I found your story. I wanted to say I enjoyed reading it, what a trip you had!