4.08.2009

africa can wait

well, my first foray back into ultimate went as expected. i've lost a lot of throws. my stabilization muscles are shot. i'm not in shape to play both O and D. on the bright side, it seems my catching has gotten better...and as always after a long hiatus into a foreign country...my pain tolerance is higher. there's nothing like third world problems to help me say "blister schmister, i can play thru that." and my cardio is surprisingly ok. thanks kili!

at pickup monday night, there were a bunch of guys doing really weird core exercises on the track next to us. turns out they're surfers. finally! a sport weirder than ulty...hmm...except i guess they can be professionals, and there are worldwide competitions, so maybe they're more legitimate than us after all. anyways, the guy leading their workout is a professional workout guru and he offered to hold a session with us, tailored towards ulty, for free! free stuff! alright! except...no one on iceni seemed that excited about it, and i didn't feel like i was in a position to say, "sure, we'll show up! thanks!" so we ended up taking his website down on a scrap of paper, playing hot potato with it for a bit (no, you take it. oh, you want me to take it? um..alright...), and not making any commitment whatsoever. smeriously yall. i don't understand british offhandedness sometimes. cute surfer dude offers a free conditioning session. seems like a no brainer to me.

i've become strangely ok with washing my hair once a week. even after the tournament this weekend and practice on monday, i didn't wash my hair until wednesday morning...and that was only b/c i thought i was having lunch with one of my ex-bosses in canary wharf. someone at practice monday even called me a "minger" (britishism for gross person) for wearing the same clothes to practice that i had worn to the tournament...oh if only she knew. i keep thinking that meryl and erin would be proud of me :-).

No comments: