10.24.2006

fwisbee

i'm positively stewing in anticipation of nationals. for the past week, i've been pretending that excel spreadsheets make me grin like mad. i'm not sure why i'm this excited...surely it's unwarranted (for nationals and excel, both), but whenever the thought creeps anywhere near my wrinkly brain, i want to run like a toon (a CARtoon).

frisbee on sunday was muy frustrating...i played on the recreational field because i wanted to do some teaching/coaching...which is not so good for cutting. people cut me off like mad...and i got thrown to at least 3 times when i totally wasn't cutting, like i was behind my defender. looking back, maybe i should've laid out...i need to practice laying out past people. the last point, everyone on my team was pretty tired (some were faking injuries), so i told the team that the plan is to stand in a stack, and just let this one guy cut. i figured if people stopped cutting each other off, we'd conserve a lot of energy. it would be like a cascade. handler to cutter to handler to cutter. i think i would've loved for someone to tell me that i've got the whole field to myself. it didn't go so well. he jogged a lot of it and didn't get open...i should've had more of a reset plan...next time.

i've discovered that i'm quite negative on the field. there are always a million and one things going wrong...i guess most people already know that about me. but i'm not upset about the things, it's just that there are a million things we could be doing better. next time, i will try to focus on one negative thing and a millon positive things. i feel fake giving praise though, when i'm secretly disgusted that someone didn't do x y or z (like keep their pivot foot down!!!). i really need to work on being impressed with small improvements. i gonna channel erika (WWED). on the bright side, i played very good defense, and i did a couple of double juke fakes where my d totally bit (she'd stand in front of me with her hips pointed toward the disc...like she wanted to footrace on the in cut).

they've made me a handler. i'm gonna fight it. the captain tried negotiating with me "well, what if we let you cut during some of the practice points, and you can handle in the tournaments". i think the way to get out of this is to be an unreliable dump and to cut deep on every opportunity. half the problem is the team is inexperienced enough that anyone who can throw upfield reliably handles. the other half is that i'm a crappy crappy deep. anywho. natties soon!!!

6 comments:

Laura said...

excel spreadsheets actually do make me grin like mad. i'm a big dork like that.

Darlene said...

You are negative on the field, but that's because you thrive on people yelling at you ;o). Coaching sMITe I've become very aware of my own comments on the sideline (especially this weekend at Purple Valley). I wasn't so much concerned about negativity as just yelling too much... I think sometimes too much instruction can be overwhelming and become construed as negative feedback. By the Wellesley game (last game on Sunday) I was saying very little, and we won that game handily.

And those people are dumb - you're way too good of a mid cutter to be a handler. If I were there I'd kick them in the head.

Laura said...

actually, it's funny. when i've played league ultimate (which is what hk ultimate reminds me of) they've always made the best throwers be handlers too. partly it's because there's usually a plethora of tall athletic people who can jump high and catch things, and partly it's because there is this subset of people who want to be handlers because they think they have amazing throws and then they constantly make bad decisions with the disc.

but remember when we changed our offense to have strong throwers at the mid position? we all were very uncomfortable with it for quite a while (or at least i was). it might be worth remembering that it actually is a big leap to put less-strong players as handlers. unless you're going to coach them alot about what their job is. which probably doesn't happen too much with your team...but you might actually learn something from being a handler :P

wow, this is a long comment. head-kicking isn't such a bad option either.

lily said...

but the point was NOT to learn how to handle...it was to learn how to DEEP!

Olivia/Liver said...

Miss you. Tired. Do you want more lip gloss?

lily said...

thanks liver, but no, i'm good with these two for now. plus, the new flavors don't really appeal to me. two tubes should last me till i come visit you to mooch more.