11.15.2007

crazy

its officially been a year (and longer). this time last year, i was in perth, hoping my scabby knee would heal faster, scolding late-bidding men who invariably laid out into my lower back, gawking at flaming palm trees, carrying naked manoah on my shoulders (did i mention i participated in a cogender landshark?). man. good times, durians.

this weekend, i'm going to manila again. last year, it was my first real asian tournament (hk doesn't count b/c i missed the first day, and perth doesn't count b/c it was in australia). i played basically savage the entire tourney, and left with a severe limp and what felt like a broken foot (i never got it xrayed, so i still don't know for sure--the attempt to get it xrayed was a complete fiasco. i was so frustrated i punched a wall. here's how xrays in hk work: you pay the gp, the gp gives you a prescription for an xray, you walk to the xray facility, which is a couple of blocks away, you hand them the paper, they take the xrays, they send the xrays back to your doctor, who diagnoses you or whatever. here's what they did to me: they gave me the paper, sent me hobbling in heels to the facility (my foot was hurt, remember?), i get there, the lady looks at my paper, and tells me they don't take xrays of feet. what?! if i want feet xrays, they have a facility in causeway bay or mongkok or somewhere else equally far and not workday accessible. so. i ask for my money back. except they don't have my money, the gp has my money. so i had to hobble back to the gp to get my money back from the incompetant receptionists, who said, "whoops, oh right, i forgot they don't do feet." and to add to the frustration factor, i had lost my voice so all i could do was rasp angrily and of course, punch a wall). holy aside batman!

anyways, here i am, about to go back to manila. last weekend, i bought a pair of turfshoes in preparation for the baked clay fields. and in spite of the tournament name (manila spirits), i'm a tad worried. last year, a player on taiwan dove on top of a disc that had kicked up clouds of dust and called it up. in full view of his entire sideline, who became conveniently mute at the moment (they had been yelling calls from the line all game). they also played a cup that perpetually triple teamed. they knew they were doing it too. their coach encouraged it. blah. hopefully, this year it'll be better. we have a really fun group going.

otherwise, just lots of histrionics around the wfdf asian tournament. who's eligible, who's not, who has the right to rep hk, who's not local enough, etc. there's no drama like disc drama. there's no drama like disc drama. there's no drama like disc drama (now take me back to smite 2004!).

3 comments:

Lori said...

Does the Taiwan coach also coach UW women?

Yelena said...

smite 2004!!!

Rojasnwkd said...

smite 2004!!!